small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Core Data
Generic-user-small
30 Jun 2010, 21:13
Gilles Muys (2 posts)

I cannot get QuickLook integration working. I verified very carefully that my code is correct compared to the book, and that I followed all steps one by one. The thumbnail does not show, nor the templated HTML. I am able to verify that my metadata files are generated properly.

Are there missing steps in the book, like in many other chapters?

30 Jun 2010, 23:14
Marcus S. Zarra (284 posts)

Not quite sure how to answer that. Are there missing steps? Probably as the book is not a step by step how to on producing Cocoa applications. There are many assumptions made about the skill set possessed by the reader as outlined in the beginning of the book.

What I can tell you is that the sample code provided was tested at the time of the writing and was fully functional.

In addition, the sample code is being re-reviewed for the next printing of the book to insure that it is kept up to date.

Have you tried running the sample code that is available for download?

Generic-user-small
04 Jul 2010, 23:22
Gilles Muys (2 posts)

It’s understood that the book is not a step-by-step on how to produce Cocoa applications. However, many steps are not described in the book on the subject at hand (core data) as also reported in these forums by many other readers. This being said, I did verify that my code is not only identical to the book (for whatever is described in the book!) as well as to the downloaded source code. One thing that I did not verify (because it would take way too long to do so) is if all resources are identical to the downloaded code. In that area as well (and maybe most importantly), the book is missing to even mention that changes must be made to some of the resource files (plists, data model, etc., or to project configuration settings).

Since there is no error message generated anywhere, I am at a loss explaining any further what could be wrong in my specific case, unfortunately. I was hoping that another reader had encountered a similar problem, and maybe found a solution that could guide me in my own debugging adventures…

I hesitate to run the downloaded source code because doing so (assuming it works) would register the downloaded application with QuickLook. Once that is done, how do I debug what I am doing with my own version of the application? If there is an easy, reproducible, bug-free way to UN-register from QuickLook, I would be willing to give a shot to the downloaded code.

05 Jul 2010, 23:13
Marcus S. Zarra (284 posts)

Have you tried debugging your plugin using the suggestions from Apple’s documentation?

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/Quicklook_Programming_Guide/Articles/QLDebugTest.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40005020-CH14-SW4

QuickLook plugins are not generally found automatically and simply removing them and/or their application stops the finder from “using” them since the code runs each time it is accessed. There is no un-registering required.

You must be logged in to comment